Why Give to NMF?
Your gift to NMF has an impact – many impacts:
The human impact—help for students today
Your gift has an immediate impact on the lives of talented young students who are struggling to pay for medical school. NMF scholarships bring financial relief, and a powerful message – “We believe in you.”
- NMF Scholarships go to students who come from families of modest income–many from families who live below the poverty line. These students come to medical school at great sacrifice, and incur huge debts on their way to becoming physicians. They need all the help that they can get.
- NMF Scholarships can be life-changing. Every year we hear of students who are at risk of dropping out of medical school in their final years, when finances are strained—when every other source of help has been exhausted. We hear of students who cannot afford the application fees and other costs of achieving a residency. To these students, even a few thousand dollars makes a lifelong difference. Your support means that we can be there to support our students when they need it most.
- NMF not only helps students afford medical school: We also provide grants to help students expand their career horizons and explore new opportunities such as those in academia, research and policy. Participation in an NMF leadership or service program can have a life-long impact on a student’s career.
- Many of our NMF alumni say that they still remember what a difference it made to receive that check from NMF, early in their careers – how they rushed to the bank, with relief and a sense of validation. Their own careers show the impact of the help that NMF gave, just when it was needed.
Excellence in medicine—and a new generation of physician leaders
Your gift to NMF helps build a new generation of physician leaders, who will bring excellence to all areas of medicine and public health.
This is not just a hope: it is a promise, based on what we know we can achieve. Over 70 years, NMF has built generations of leaders whose impact is felt today, in medical practice, in medical education, and in their lasting contributions to hospitals and other healthcare institutions.
- NMF has a record of identifying leaders early in their careers. Over the years we have provided financial support and mentoring to more than 30,000 minority medical students, who have gone on to serve in all areas of medicine and public health.
- Our NMF alumni are now
- leaders in primary care and community health center practices across the nation;
- distinguished researchers in major academic medicine centers;
- leaders in government (including two Surgeons General);
- leaders in philanthropy (including the Presidents/CEOs of some of the largest healthcare foundations in the US); and
- leaders and innovators in the corporate sector (including Presidents/CEOs of leading multi-state health care organizations).
- Our NMF Alumni are also
- presidents and deans in medical colleges and professional schools, who are shaping the future of medical education, and the diversity of the physician workforce for generations to come; and
- officers in major healthcare corporations, who are making diversity and inclusion a foundation of creative business practice, nationwide.
A more equitable healthcare system – better healthcare for poor and underserved communities
Almost everyone recognizes the critical need to make healthcare more accessible to people in poor and underserved communities—and many of us are working on the ground to make that happen. Your gift to NMF will help us meet that goal: NMF supports minority medical students who are statistically more likely than others to practice in undeserved communities, and to speak for those who do not have a voice in our healthcare system.
- Your gift to NMF will help fund scholarships and other opportunities for medical students who are committed to “giving back” to their communities.
- This will have an impact on our healthcare system now and in the years to come. Research shows that minority physicians have an outsized role in providing care to underserved populations—including minority and non-English speaking patients. For example, low income patients are 1 ½ to 2 times more likely to be cared for by Black, Hispanic and Asian physicians.
- Many of NMF’s leadership and service programs are targeted to students who are preparing to serve in areas of our greatest need, in community health centers, safety net hospitals and other healthcare settings that serve poor, minority and immigrant patients.
- Your gift will have an immediate impact in strengthening NMF’s scholarship and career mentoring programs for medical students who are committed to practicing in underserved communities. As these students graduate, they will realize their own dreams of giving back to their communities. And the impact of your gift will continue to grow.