National Medical Fellowships provides dynamic educational webinars to enhance the Service-Learning Program experience for our Scholars, as well as to connect members of the NMF Young Leadership Council and other NMF Alumni. For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 8:00 PM Eastern NMF will host a presentation by Dr. Tameka Blake, who will take you on a journey of her career in medicine. She will discuss obstacles and struggles and how she overcame them. She will also explore the idea of the ‘right’ path to a successful career in medicine and give candid moments that helped her push forward. For more information, and to register and participate in this event, click here.
The Student Loan Crisis and How to Address It
Monday, November 4, 2019 at 7:00 PM Eastern
View the event recording here.
On Monday, November 4, 2019 NMF hosted a presentation by panelists Dr. Brian Bridges, Jantz Hoffman, and Olin Wiley. This webinar discusses the current student loan crisis that impacts so many individuals in the healthcare field and in higher education. Topics include:
- Loan Repayment options
- Loan Forgiveness Programs
- Access to professional advisors who are dedicated to assisting students with loan forgiveness
- How to compare employer sponsored loan repayment programs
- Dr. Brian Bridges, Vice President of the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) and serves on a focus group that is addressing this issue from a minority student and HBCU graduate prospective
- Jantz Hoffman, Chairman of the Board & CEO, Certified Student Loan Advisors Board of Standards
- Olin Wiley, Certified Wealth Counselor, a member of the Planned Giving Council, Estate Planning Council, International Association of Financial Planners and Charitable Advisors Alliance.
Patient Engagement & Cultural Competency; The Common Thread: The Human Experience
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 7:00 PM Eastern
View the event recording here.
The event refers to the SPOT CHECK Methodology form, which you are encouraged to complete prior to viewing the recording.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 NMF hosted a presentation by Dr. Mauvareen Beverley. As healthcare continues to be transformed, patient engagement is the change agent for improving clinical care, increasing revenues related to value based payments and patient satisfaction scores (HCAHPS). We as Health Care Professionals need to educate ourselves and recognize that our beliefs and attitudes, conscious or unconscious can have a positive or negative impact on: patient care and compliance; the patient experience; self-management; and health outcomes.
- Improve the health outcomes for the Elderly Black Population
- Increase empathy
- Respect and understand the individual’s cultural beliefs regarding their health
- Prevent judgmental behavior directed at patients
- Prevent disparate care
- Maintain patient dignity
Webinar Presenter: Mauvareen Beverley, MD
Dr. Beverley is an executive-level physician with over 20 years of clinical and administrative experience in regulatory requirements, network development, and high-level strategy; a proven leader in developing high performing interdisciplinary teams that decreased readmission by improving patient and family engagement. She has a demonstrated track record of increasing revenue while improving population health outcomes, and is an advocate for culturally competent healthcare and the patient experience, especially with geriatric, immigrant, and African American populations.