United Health Foundation/NMF Diverse Medical Scholars Program
Established in 2013, the United Health Foundation (UHF) has partnered with National Medical Fellowships (NMF) to offer the Diverse Medical Scholars Program. This is a service-learning program designed to increase the number of qualified medical providers who have a commitment to improving access to quality healthcare in medically underserved communities. This program is a renewal scholarship that provides a $7,000 award to thirty-two (32) qualified medical students. All Scholars are required to complete a 200-hour self-directed community health project at the community site of their choice. Selected Scholars will be enrolled in a medical school located in the U.S., be a member of an underrepresented minority group, and have demonstrated leadership and a commitment to underserved communities.
NMF Scholar Alcha Strane was recently interviewed for UHF outreach! To read more, click here.
UHF Scholar candidates must meet the following eligibility:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) approval letter
- Currently enrolled as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year medical student in an accredited MD/DO school located in the U.S.
- Identification with one of the following minority groups: African American, Latino, Native American, or Asian Americans (Vietnamese and Cambodian only)
- Demonstrated leadership early in career
- Commitment to serving medically underserved communities
Scholars will be required to complete their program requirements between December 2018 and June 2019. Program requirements include:
- 200 service-learning hours at community site of choice located in an underserved community
- Orientation Participation
- Written Report on Community Health
- PowerPoint Creation and Oral Presentation (4th Year Medical Students Only)
- Poster Creation/Presentation
- UHF Forum in Washington, D.C. (June 9-12, 2019)
- Program Culminating Event Participation (June 12, 2019)
- Evaluation – Pre- and Post-Program Surveys (Scholar & Mentor)
About the United Health Foundation
Guided by a passion to help people live healthier lives, United Health Foundation (UHF) provides helpful information to support decisions that lead to better health outcomes and healthier communities. The Foundation also supports activities that expand access to quality health care services for those in challenging circumstances and partners with others to improve the well-being of communities.