Los Angeles CA
The 2019 Primary Care Leadership Program will include Los Angeles CA!
Learn more and start your application today at www.nmf.fluidreview.com.
In 2018, PCLP Scholars placed in Los Angeles CA conducted service-learning projects focused on a wide range of capacity-building issues facing community health centers (CHCs). Learn more about our 2018 Scholar cohort here. The 2019 PCLP community health center (CHC) Site Partners will be announced soon. Our 2018 PCLP site placements included the following CHCs in Los Angeles CA:
- AltaMed Health Services Corporation
- Eisner Health
- St. John’s Well Child & Family Center
- Northeast Valley Health Corporation
- Venice Family Clinic
- Watts Healthcare Corporation
The PCLP curriculum incorporates a mentored experience, pairing each Scholar with a Site Supervisor at the placement site and a Faculty Advisor from a local university or health institution.
Site Supervisors are responsible for coordinating the program on-site, providing site orientation and scheduling time for leadership training, webinar participation and other related program activities.
Faculty Advisors provide guidance for the PCLP Project and offer professional and academic mentoring.
Housing & Transportation
While PCLP does not coordinate housing or transportation for students, we do facilitate and encourage communication between Scholars to find local resources together. Read below to find out more about housing and transportation options. Please keep in mind that NMF and PCLP do not endorse any landlord, management, company, or individual in these sites.
Downtown Los Angeles is, on average, a 12 minute drive from our Site Partners. When searching for housing, keep in mind that you will have to commute to your site clinic as well as other community sites, and should think about access to Internet, transportation, etc. Below, we have provided a starting point for your housing search. Some of these resources have been helpful for previous PCLP Scholars:
- Craigslist – Go to the Los Angeles metro page and choose a neighborhood at the top of the page to narrow your search. Search within “housing” or “sublets/temporary” to find temporary housing.
- Rotating Room – Subletting site for fourth year medical students doing fourth-year-away rotations:
- USC Summer Housing – You may be eligible to apply for University of Southern California’s summer housing. Availability may be limited.
- AirBnB options – Search for Los Angeles, CA and select the dates you would need based on your time block.
Keep in mind that having a car is the best means of transportation and will allow you travel flexibility and convenience. However, if it’s impossible to have a car during your service-learning experience, there are limited public transportation options in the Los Angeles area.
- The LA Metro is the major operator of bus and rail services in Los Angeles County. One Scholar noted that the Metro’s Blue Line train stops right in front of Watts Healthcare Corporation. Check here for further timetables and maps.
- All fares can be pre-paid by loading a pass or Stored Valued (cash) on a TAP card and then tapping your card each time you board public transportation. On buses, it is also possible to pay for a single ride with a token or exact change. A 30-Day Pass for College/Vocational Students costs $43, but additional charges may apply to ride to additional zones. TAP fares can be found here.