Boston MA & Gateway Cities in MA
In 2017, PCLP Scholars served in Boston and the Gateway Cities of Brockton, Chelsea and Lynn, where service-learning projects focused on substance use disorders and behavioral health. Our 2018 PCLP site placements include the following CHCs in Boston and the Gateway Cities:
- Fenway Community Health Center, Inc.
- Lynn Community Health Center
- Lowell Community Health Center
- MGH Charlestown HealthCare Center
- MGH Chelsea HealthCare Center
- North Shore Community Health, Inc.
- South End Community Health Center
For a basic overview of each city and their demographic information, click their name below to view the latest United States Census Bureau’s demographic estimates.
PCLP incorporates a mentored experience, which pairs each Scholar with a Site Mentor at the placement site and a Pathway Mentor from a local university or health institution.
Site Mentors are responsible for coordinating the program on-site, providing site orientation and scheduling time for leadership training, webinar participation and other related program activities.
Pathway Mentors provide PCLP Scholars with guidance for career and personal development, during their participation in PCLP and beyond.
Housing & Transportation
Read below to find out more about housing and transportation options. Please keep in mind that GE-NMF PCLP does not endorse any landlord, management, company, or individual in these sites.
When searching for housing, keep in mind that you will have to commute to your Site Partner as well as to other community sites, and should think about access to internet, transportation, etc. Below, we have provided a starting point for your housing search that have been helpful for previous PCLP Scholars.
- Craigslist – Go to the Boston metro page and search within “housing” or “sublets/temporary,” and then click on the tabs at the top for specific cities.
- Rotating Room – Subletting site for fourth year medical students doing fourth-year-away rotations.
- AirBnB – Search for Boston, MA or Lynn, MA and select the dates you would need based on your time block.
- Harvard Medical School – Short-term accommodation list.
- Boston University Medical Campus Housing Resources – Short-term housing options.
Keep in mind that having a car is the best means of transportation and will allow you travel flexibility and convenience. However, if it’s impossible to have a car during your service-learning experience, there are public transportation options in the Boston area.
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority – Can search routes on the website or on Google Maps. Lynn Community Health Center is located near the Union Street stop.
- A Monthly LinkPass can be bought that allows for unlimited rides on the subway and bus routes per calendar month. Each Monthly LinkPass costs $75.