Genentech/NMF Diversity Innovation Fellowship Program
Established in 2020, Genentech has partnered with National Medical Fellowships (NMF) to offer the NMF Diversity Innovation Fellowship Program. This new service-learning program is designed to build the pipeline of diverse clinician researchers who are committed to supporting health equity by promoting diversity and inclusion in all aspects of medical research, practice, and innovation. This program provides a $7,500 award to ten (10) qualified medical (MD/DO) and medical/PhD students enrolled in academic institutions in Greater New York City and New Jersey. This scholarship is renewable for eligible students who receive their first award during the 2nd or 3rd year of their academic program. Scholars will engage in a range of activities including clinical research training and mentoring, development of a clinical research proposal, participation in special topic learning events that facilitate exposure to cutting edge technology and healthcare innovations, and attendance at national or regional conference focused on clinical research or healthcare innovation.
Applications are currently closed.
To increase the pipeline of diverse physicians and researchers interested in becoming future academic leaders by developing a cohort of aspiring diverse MD, DO, MD/PhD, and DO/PhDs with training and mentoring in clinical research and exposure to healthcare innovation including design thinking, cutting edge technology, biodesign, digital health, and big data analytics.
- 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year medical student (MD, DO) and dual degree medical/PhD (MD/PhD, DO/PhD) for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Enrolled in an accredited MD/DO school located in Greater NYC and NJ
- Identification with one of the following minority groups: African American, Latino/a, Native American, Pacific Islander, or Asian American (Vietnamese and Cambodian only)
- Clinical research and healthcare innovation curriculum
- Orientation workshop, learning days (2), special topic webinars (2), national or regional conference attendance
- Mentored clinical research guidance
- Scholar innovation project proposal
- Scholar presentation at Culminating Event
- PLEASE NOTE: Program trainings, workshops and other events may be in-person or virtual. TBD.
Scholar Requirements & Deliverables
- Meetings with Clinical Research Mentor
- Submit monthly status reports
- Participation in clinical research and healthcare innovation curriculum activities
- Attend National or Regional Conference focused on clinical research and/or healthcare innovation
- Healthcare Innovation Research Project Proposal – develop a project proposal that utilizes a health innovation approach to address a specific health disparity
- Research proposal presentation at culminating event December 2020.