NMF Honors Health Leaders at The Second Annual Bay Area Champions of Health Awards Luncheon in Oakland, California
The Second Annual National Medical Fellowships (NMF) Bay Area Champions of Health Awards Luncheon took place on March 7, 2020, with over 120 guests in attendance. NMF Alumni, corporate and healthcare leaders, physicians and over 20 medical students gathered at Scott’s Seafood Jack London Square in Oakland, California to honor six outstanding Bay Area healthcare leaders.
NMF would like to thank everyone who supported the event including representatives from distinguished medical schools, healthcare organizations and leaders in Northern California. We’d like to give a Special Thank You to All Our Sponsors: Kaiser Permanente / Kaiser Permanente – Physician Education and Development (Sponsors); Kaiser Permanente – External and Community Affairs Northern California (Leader); Kaiser Permanente – National Equity, Inclusion & Diversity Department / Blue Shield of California / Stanford Medicine / Sutter Health / University of California San Francisco (Patrons); and Sutro Biopharma / Samuel Merritt University / UC Davis Health (Supporters) .
The Honorees included:
- Sarah Krevans, Keynote Speaker, President and Chief Executive Officer, Sutter Health (NMF Leadership in Healthcare Award);
- Ernest A. Bates, MD, Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, American Shared Hospital Services, Inc. (NMF Distinguished Alumni Award);
- Ronald L. Copeland, MD, FACS, Senior Vice President & Chief Equity, Inclusion & Diversity Officer, Kaiser Permanente (NMF Leadership in Diversity Award);
- Talmadge E. King Jr., MD, Dean, School of Medicine, Vice Chancellor – Medical Affairs, University of California San Francisco (NMF Excellence in Academic Medicine Award);
- Arturo Molina, MD, MS,Chief Medical Officer, Sutro Biopharma (NMF Corporate Leadership Award); and
- Lloyd H. Dean, President and Chief Executive Officer, CommonSpirit Health (NMF Corporate Citizen Award).
Honorees shared their journeys, ascent to leadership and messages of encouragement leaving attendees inspired about the future of healthcare and the importance of education, mentorship and financial support for the next generation of students in medicine.
Lastly, we applaud the dedicated planning efforts of the NMF Bay Area Council, chaired by Calvin Wheeler, MD, Institutional Director, Undergraduate & Graduate Medical Education, Kaiser Permanente Northern California. Their time, resources and energy helped make the luncheon the great success it was, as further evidenced by video below.